Fri. May 24th, 2024

[ad_1]

Prince Harry Tells Court: 'I Couldn't Trust Anybody Due To Phone Hacking'

Prince Harry called some media houses “incredibly invasive”.

Prince Harry has accused Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN) Ltd — publisher of The Mirror, Sunday Mirror and the Sunday People tabloids — of illegal information gathering, including phone hacking. He has become the first royal in more than 100 years to give evidence in court. At London High Court, the Duke of Sussex accused tabloid newspapers of hacking his voicemails when he was a teenager.

According to a BBC report, he said he made him feel he “couldn’t trust anybody”.

He said that he had been the victim of relentless and distressing media intrusion “most of my life up until this day” and attacked negative portrayals of him as the “spare to the heir”. The duke said that stories he believed originated from hacking not only caused security concerns but damaged his relationships.

He accused the press of repeatedly trying to break up his relationships, saying the “twisted objective” continues today.

“How much more blood will stain their typing fingers before someone can put a stop to this madness,” the younger son of King Charles III added in a witness statement.

Prince Harry called some media houses “incredibly invasive”.

Prince Harry on Tuesday said he had suffered a lifelong “press invasion” and accused some media of having blood on their hands, as he became the first royal in more than 100 years to give evidence in court.

Harry, 38, said he had been the victim of relentless and distressing media intrusion “most of my life up until this day” and attacked negative portrayals of him as the “spare to the heir”.

“How much more blood will stain their typing fingers before someone can put a stop to this madness,” the younger son of King Charles III added in a witness statement.

“You’re then either the ‘playboy prince’, the ‘failure’, the ‘dropout’ or, in my case, the ‘thicko’, the ‘cheat’, the ‘underage drinker’, the ‘irresponsible drug taker’, the list goes on.

“As a teenager and in my early 20s, I ended up feeling as though I was playing up to a lot of the headlines and stereotypes that they wanted to pin on me… It was a downward spiral,” he said, calling the reporting “utterly vile”.

The prince also said that he has “experienced hostility from the press” since he was born. He said that he developed “acute paranoia” of being under surveillance.

According to a BBC report, The Mirror group’s lawyer said he had sympathy for the duke, but denied journalists’ actions were “all unlawful”

In his written statement, issued as he appeared at court, Prince Harry accused the tabloid press of casting members of the Royal Family into roles and creating an “alternative and distorted version of me”.

“They then start to edge you towards playing the role or roles that suit them best and which sells as many newspapers as possible, especially if you are the ‘spare’ to the ‘heir'”, he said.

The case is Harry’s latest legal battle with the press since he stepped down from frontline royal duties in early 2020 and relocated to California with his American wife Meghan.

[ad_2]

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *